1910 ~ 1969
- Founded Makita Electric Works (proprietorship) in Nagoya, Aichi. Began selling and repairing lighting equipment, motors, and transformers.
- First exported electric generators and motors to the Soviet Union
- Incorporated the proprietorship’s business form and established Makita Electric Works, Inc.
- Moved the plant, in an attempt to avoid air raid, to the current head office in Sumiyoshi-Cho, Anjo-City.
- Started marketing portable electric planers, the first product in Japan.
- Transformed into an electric power tool manufacturer.
- Initiated exports of electric power tools with shipment of 1300 hand-held electric planers to Australia.
- Finished construction of new main plant.
- Changed the trade name to Makita Electric Works, Ltd.
- Went public and listed the company in the 2nd Section of Nagoya Stock Exchange.
- Became an entirely debt-free company.
- Celebrated 50th anniversary.
- Listed the company in the 2nd Section of Tokyo and Osaka Stock Exchanges.
- 6500D battery-powered drill (first rechargeable power tool).
1970 ~ 1979
Designated to the 1st Section of Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka Stock Exchanges.
(Osaka listing terminated in February 2003)
- Established Makita U.S.A. Inc (in the United States)
- Established a new facility, Okazaki Plant.
- Established Makita France S.A. (in France) (changed the name to Makita France SAS April 2004)
Established Makita Electric (U.K.) Ltd. (in the United Kingdom)
(changed the name to Makita (U.K.) Ltd. December 1992)
- Established Makita (Australia) Pty. Ltd. (in Australia)
Listed on Amsterdam Stock Exchange using Continental Depositary Receipts (CDR)
(Amsterdam listing terminated in February 2004)
Established Makita Power Tools Canada Ltd. (in Canada)
(changed the name to Makita Canada Inc. January 1991)
Established Makita Benelux B.V. (in the Netherlands)
(changed the name to Makita Nederland B.V. January 2010)
- Established Makita S.p.A. (in Italy)
- Raised capital overseas for the first time, through CDR offering.
Started trading of American Depository Receipt on NASDAQ.
NASDAQ listing terminated in April 2013）
- Established Makita S.A. Makita N.V. (in Belgium)
- Established Makita Werkzeug GmbH (in Germany)
- Launched 6010D rechargeable drill (first nickel cadmium battery tool).
1980 ~ 1989
- Launched AN5000 pneumatic nailer and AC6001 air compressor (first air tools).
Established Makita Brasil Ferramentas Elétricas Ltda. (in Brazil)
(Started production of power tools in South America.)
- Established Makita Werkzeug Gesellschaft m.b.H. (in Austria)
Issued European Depositary Receipts (EDR) and listed on Luxembourg Stock Exchange.
(Luxembourg listing terminated in June 1998)
Established Makita Power Tools Singapore Ltd. (in Singapore)
(changed the name to Makita Singapore Pte.Ltd. April 1991)
- Started production of power tools in Canada.
- Established Makita Corporation of America (in the United States)
- Started production of power tools in the United States.
- Established Joyama Kaihatsu Ltd. (Toyokawa, Aichi)
- Power tools became subject to retaliatory tariffs due to semiconductor market trade friction between U.S. and Japan.
- Established Makita (Taiwan) Ltd.
Established Makita Espana S.A. (in Spain)
(changed the name to Makita, S.A. November 1991)
- Changed the year end from February 20 to March 31.
- Three power tools (circular saw, grinder, drill) designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro exhibited at the Word Design Exposition held in Nagoya City.
- Established Makita Manufacturing Europe Ltd. (in the United Kingdom)
1990 ~ 1999
Acquired Sachs Dolmar GmbH, chain saw manufacturer. (in Germany)
(changed the name to Dolmar GmbH September 1991)
- Introduced corporate identity (CI) program.
- Changed the name to Makita Corporation.
- Started production of power tools in Europe (U.K)
- Anti-dumping suit filed against Makita in U.S.
- Established Makita Power Tools (HK) Ltd. (in Hong Kong)
- Sponsored Japan tour by the MR. BIG rock band from the U.S.
- Established Makita (New Zealand) Ltd. (in New Zealand)
- Established Makita (China) Co., Ltd. (in China)
- Established Makita Sp.zo.o. (in Poland)
- Established Makita Mexico, S.A. de C.V. (in Mexico)
- Established Makita International Europe Ltd. (in the United Kingdom)
- Established Makita, spol.sr.o (in Czech Republic)
- Started production of power tools in China.
- Established Makita Elektromos Kisgépértékesítö Kft. (in Hungary)
- Established Makita Gulf FZE. (in the United Arab Emirates)
- 6213D rechargeable driver-drill exhibited at the Chicago Hardware Show (first nickel hydride battery tool).
- Established Makita Herramientas Ele´ctricas de Argentina S.A. (in Argentina)
- Established Makita Chile Comercial Ltda. (in Chile)
- Established Makita Hellas S.A. (in Greece)
2000 ~ 2009
- Established Makita Romania S.R.L. (in Romania)
- Established Makita SA (in Switzerland)
- Established Makita (Kunshan) Co., Ltd. (in China)
- Established Makita Latin America Inc. (in the United States)
- Established Makita Oy (in Finland)
- Launched the 2nd brand MAKTEC specifically for the Asian market.
- Finished construction of new corporate headquarters.
- Established Makita LLC. (in Russia)
- Established Makita s.r.o. (in Slovakia)
- Launched TD130D (first Lithium-ion Battery tool).
- Celebrated 90th anniversary.
- Established Makita EU S.R.L. (in Romania)
- Established Makita Ukraine LLC.
- Acquired nailer business from Kanematsu-NNK Corp.
- Established Makita Peru S.A. (in Peru)
- Started production of power tools in Romania.
Made Fuji Robin Industries Ltd. a consolidated subsidiary.
(changed the name to Makita Numazu Corporation August 2007, merged into the Company April 2013)
- Established Makita Bulgaria EOOD (in Bulgaria)
- Established Makita Power Tools India Private Ltd. (in India)
- Established Makita Colombia, S.A. (in Colombia)
- Established Makita Africa s.a.r.l.a.u. (in Morocco)
- Established Makita Vietnam Co., Ltd. (in Vietnam)
- Established Makita Manufacturing (Thailand) Co., Ltd. (in Thailand)
- Established Makita d.o.o. (in Slovenia)
- Started production of power tools in Thailand.
- Established Makita Power Tools (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd. (in Malaysia)
- Masahiko Goto became Chairman and Shiro Hori became President.
- Established Makita Europe N.V. (in Belgium)
- Established Makita Kazakhstan LLP (in Kazakhstan)
- Celebrated 100th anniversary